Teachers are special. That’s why Teachers Day is super special.
Teachers make pathways, possible. For this Teachers Day, I asked people what makes a great teacher.
Here are nine responses that I thought I must share.
- “My vote goes to teachers who never let you settle. With a nudge and push they keep moving you without you realising.”
- “You remember Ms._ right? The one who always made me try harder.”
- “My best teachers are the ones who were interested in me. Just that was good enough!”
- “Challenge. Thats’ what a superlative teacher is magical with. Just right. Just outside your competence and something that you strive for.”
- “I always adore the teachers who corrected me without breaking me. How I wish there were more of them.”
- “A good teacher gets you to learn. A great great teacher, also makes you want to learn.”
- “A good teachers stays focused on whats good for you and not what you are telling her at that moment.”
- “Teachers make knowledge accessible. They have made stuff that was beyond me, seem so accessible that I often think I too can partake in it.”
- “Hands down, Mr. __. He gave me energy to go through the grind.”
Last year, I wrote a post celebrating my teachers. A good friend Achyut Menon left a comment quoting a Jain proverb. “When the student is ready the teacher will appear”.
This teachers day, I remind myself that it is important to be ready to recieve what great teachers can offer. A learning mindset is important. Curiosity, Courage and Humility help a big deal.
I write this, because I won the teacher lottery! Which brings me stupendous luck.
Say a word of thanks to your teachers, for teachers are special! And keep the fire of learning and growth alive.